Pages

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Disturbing and Sad


I admit that I watch a lot of television, especially now that I am home on maternity leave. And many of the programs I regularly watch and love are reality-based shows such as Survivor, What Not to Wear, Millionaire Matchmaker, Super Nanny, The Bachelor, Million Dollar Listing, Cake Boss, Project Runway, etc. For some reason I am highly intrigued and entertained by a glimpses into the lives of these "characters" on TV, even though I'm sure much of it is actually staged to some degree. Because I knowingly watch what some might call "crap television", I take it all with a grain of salt and I'm not that easily offended or disturbed by the programming I see. However, there is one exception to that previous statement....and the program is called "Toddlers and Tiaras". Have you heard of this program? Talk about disturbing and just plan WRONG! I don't know what is more revolting to me - the fact that some parents out there actually encourage their young daughters to make themselves over into scary little pageant barbies, or that TLC actually chooses to expose these families through a television program. These little girls, ranging in age from 2-8 compete in beauty pageants and talent contests, and most consider Miss America to be their most influential role model. They cake their faces with ungodly amounts of makeup, put in hair extensions, darken their skin with fake tanning spray, and some mothers even encourage their young girls to restrict their diets in order to stay skinny.

I have never watched this show for more than just a few minutes because I find it so highly disturbing, but I did just recently visit the website just to learn more about what goes on "behind the scenes" of these pageants. I was most shocked and horrified at the extreme role that many of the mothers play in their daughter's pageant preparation. Some seem so overly involved and dedicated to ensuring that their daughters win, as if they are trying to live out their own dreams vicariously through their poor, unknowing little angel. But perhaps the saddest part of all is that some of the girls become so brainwashed and focused on beauty and winning that they end up missing out on their childhood.

Does anyone else find this just as disturbing as I do? What happened to playing outside at the park, climbing trees and getting grass stains on your jeans, building forts out of sheets and boxes, and even just playing with dolls or playing dress-up like a normal child? I fear that one day these parents will look back on their child's pageant days with regret and shame for robbing their daughter of her chance to just simply be a kid.

3 comments:

Ami said...

100% agreed.

I, like you, can not stand to watch any program ike this... it does disturb me to see such young girls been taught to act like grown ups.

So sad, and in my opinion, so wrong.

kristen said...

completely disturbing and sad on so many fronts.

Queen Mother said...

I watched a few minutes of this show once months ago (I love the Little Couple, it was on after that..) and was so disgusted that I couldn't watch more than 5-10 minutes. The parents..OMG! What are they thinking?! Turning a 5 year old into a sex object? Just disturbing.