Pages

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

6 More Weeks of Winter?!


I've never understood Groundhog Day - it's just sort of strange to me. According to Wikipedia, the holiday began as a Pennsylvania German custom in the 18th and 19th centuries, and has roots in ancient European weather lore. I understand that the day is more of a symbolic custom than anything else, but still....it's just strange that we look to a large rodent to tell us what the seasons hold. Heck, if doctorate level meteorologists can't accurately predict the weather and the arrival of the seasons, I don't think a groundhog with a brain about the size of a walnut could do any better. Or on second thought, maybe it could!? Anyhow, Punxsutawney Phil apparently saw his shadow this morning which means we have 6 more weeks of winter ahead of us.

Really?! Could have fooled me! Because ironically I was out for a lovely walk this morning and all I could see around me were sights, smells, and sounds of the imminent arrival of Spring. Birds chirping, squirrels nibbling at the grass, flowers sprouting all around me, dogs barking, and rays of sunlight shining down upon us all. It was gorgeous, and honestly one of the nicest mornings I've seen in awhile. But wait a second....if Phil saw his shadow, wouldn't that mean that the sun was out in PA too? Why would sunshine on the morning of February 2nd equate to a longer winter? Just another reason this whole custom is weird.

I don't know.....I guess we'll just have to wait and see if Phil's prediction holds true.

No comments: