Pages

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Daytime Television


Since I've been off work on maternity leave, I admit that I've become quite accustomed to watching a lot of daytime television. Now as you can imagine, there is quite a fascinating range of interesting, intellectual programming available from Comcast during the weekdays......and I've chosen to become hooked on the highest quality shows of all - things like "A Baby Story", "Supernanny", "What Not To Wear", "Tabitha's Salon Takeover", and "18 Kids and Counting".... :) I tend to gravitate towards reality-based programming on TLC, Bravo, HGTV, and Style Network, and I also love watching game shows and talk shows on the major networks in the afternoon. I especially love the new version of "Let's Make a Deal" hosted by Wayne Brady...have you seen it? It's just as good as the original hosted by Monty Hall in the 60's and 70's.

Now please understand that I do spend the majority of my day taking care of Zoey - feeding and changing her, playing games and interacting with her as much as possible, and rarely letting her watch the TV screen.....because the last thing I want is a television addicted child this early on! But since she is still so young, she sleeps A LOT.....even if lately that means napping ON ME. And having a sleeping baby upon my chest means that watching TV on the couch is about all I can do! My mom and several friends have encouraged me to read instead of watching TV, and while I do read baby books and parenting magazines on a regular basis, for some reason I just can't get into reading longer novels right now. Perhaps that's because I am living somewhat day-by-day with Zoey, and investing in a book just seems a bit overwhelming. Or maybe it's because I like the feeling of reading a short magazine article or a chapter in a baby book that I KNOW I will be able to finish in the span of a Zoey nap. Hey, I look for the feeling of accomplishment wherever I can get it these days, and I only want to set goals that I know I can achieve with a needy young infant by my side. : )

But all of this TV watching makes me realize that there is a whole big exciting world out there beyond my LCD screen just waiting for me. Hopefully once Zoey is on a more predictable daytime routine with a regular nap and feeding pattern, we'll both be able to venture out more to enjoy it. We do attempt to attend a weekly play group and get out for walks, but even that has become somewhat challenging the past two weeks. So for now, my television will continue to serve as a special, entertaining companion close and dear to my heart. : )

No comments: