Pages

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Election Day 2008


A new president AND a new haircut....it was a big day! But definitely bittersweet. While on one hand I am very excited that Barack Obama will be our new leader, I am also very saddened that my fellow Californians voted to pass Proposition 8. I am shocked and appalled that people could actually make a choice that embodies discrimination, bigotry, hatred, and a fundamental regression of human rights. It just boggles my mind and boils my blood. While we have definitely made progress as a nation, and yes some of my faith in America has been restored with the election of Barack, the evil spirit of Ignorance is alive and well. The "Yes on 8" supporters may have won this battle, but they HAVE NOT won the war. If our nation can go from a dark history of slavery and segregation to the election our first African American president, then I still have hope that eventually we will grant ALL people the right to love and marry anyone that they choose. Thank you.

3 comments:

aka: D and Shep said...

So true Sarah and I agree whole-heartedly. I too am so disappointed with California.

Jenny said...

Agreed Sarah. I am so happy about Obama being elected, but very disappointed in my fellow Californians.

Jenny said...

by the way, cute haircut!!!