Pages

Friday, July 9, 2010

A needed getaway into nature...


Yep, we're going camping this weekend! I was raised to be an outdoor-lover, tree-hugging type, as I spent many a childhood summer traveling around California in my dad's old VW bus, tent camping at lots of cool spots throughout the state. Even though we didn't have a lot of money back then, my parents took us on regular car trips through what felt like almost every inch of California....and I have many amazing memories as a result. Some of my favorite places we've camped include Mt. Lassen, Yosemite, Kings Canyon, June Lakes, and Lumsden....just to name a few. It always felt like an adventure to me...packing up the bus with all of our gear, picking out a site and setting up our tent and "make shift" home for the week, gathering sticks, roasting marshmallows and hot dogs over the campfire, going out on day hikes, swimming in the lakes and rivers....and getting as dirty and grimy as a kid could be. I loved camping as a kid, and I still do. While I'm admittedly much more "high maintenance" than I was back then, I still love the thrill of being out in wilderness, falling asleep to the sound of the wind in the trees, getting away from the hustle and bustle of the world, and soaking up the beauty and glory of Mother Nature.

And I am so excited that we'll be taking Zoey on her first camping trip this weekend to Big Basin State Redwoods! If you haven't been, it's an awesome park south-east of Los Gatos and the South Bay, definitely close enough for even a day-trip. They have tons of camping sites, huge beautiful Redwood trees, great hiking trails, picnic facilities, and a nice visitor's station. I have a feeling Zoey will love camping as much as we do, especially given her fascination with the outdoors. Let's just hope she naps and sleeps in her pack-n-play in our tent just as well as she does in her crib at home!

No comments: